Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Doubts...

I heard back from the Basilica. They asked me to come in this Sunday and serve the noon Mass! I'm really excited...but at the same time, the paranoid part of me is coming out, saying, "You don't know what you are getting into. You will not like the job. You will get bored with it too easily. You will dislike working on the weekends. You will dislike working on all the Holy Days."

Upon thinking all this, I realize a few things. First and foremost: is the service of the Lord in His Church really work?

Yes. I'm not going to even bother debating this. Yes, it is work to provide Holy Mother Church with the kind of service necessary, especially what would be asked of me in a Basilica. Even though it is not sacristy work, which is what I'm used to, it would require a decent amount of skill to be able to handle it -- this is what I'm questioning whether I have. After reading over the job description a few times, I believe that I can handle it...

The other thing is whether I like it or not, who am I to say this immediately? I always say that I dislike office work. Maybe this is different. Maybe I'll be up-and-about for a good part of the day. I'm sure there will be those days. I guess I'm just afraid that I'm going to screw up big-time. I'm sure it's a common thing for a person like me to worry about that.

By "like me", all I mean is a newcomer to a job -- I don't mean that as in a person with my level of skill, or a person with a wierd quirk that no one else is supposed to know about, or anything like that...

Although that last bit about a wierd quirk? It may be true. You never know... {checks mutation}

Well, I've rambled on enough. I think it's time for me to call it a night. I'm planning on getting up early to start work.

My, how the boring have fallen...

Um, wait, that doesn't work.

My how boring I've become...

Weeeell, it works, but it doesn't really flow...

How the mighty have fallen? Yes, but it's so cliche...

I guess cliche will have to do...

No comments: