Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Old St. Mary's

Today, I went to Old St. Mary's with Paul and Alex for their Ash Wednesday Mass. The Mass was at 7:30 PM. It was so good to see a good number of people at that late Mass -- in a certain sense, I expected to get there and see no one, but in another sense, I expected to get there and see the place packed. But life has a way of pulling fast ones on me and giving me what I don't expect, and there was a medium number of people there. There were several Christendom alumni, of course.

Father's sermon was very good. I admire that new priest there. He's so young and so full of life. My experience with a lot of priests who say the Tridentine Latin Mass is that they are cold and solemn. Notice, I didn't say all priests who say the Tridentine -- I said a lot. I can think of several off the top of my head who are not cold or solemn, but rank right with there with this new pastor. It's very heart-warming to see good men become priests. It is always a boost to the part of me that says, "I should be a priest."

But I'm getting off into a topic that I won't discuss now...

4 comments:

Paul said...

He really is a wonderful priest. What's his name again?

J. Smith said...

Ah Smitha - do I sense a vocation brewing in the depths of your soul? *Mastroeni laugh*

Open some windows, I think Mr. Smitha is getting a little hot under the collar! *laugh again*

Anthony Smitha said...

Beat Dr. P, isn't his name Monsignor K. Bartholomew Smith? At least, that's what the website says...

Anthony Smitha said...

Justin, that's a question that I've pondered for many years, and I keep flip-flopping back and forth.

Before you were married, I'm sure you experienced this kind of indeciveness at least once...