Monday, June 19, 2006

Peter and Rachel's wedding

Peter F. and Rachel P. got married this weekend. That was fun.

Eric W., Ryan O., and I drove out to Kentucky at 11:45 PM on Friday night. The wedding was supposed to begin on Saturday at 11:00 AM Saturday morning. The drive took us about 8 hours, and the most confusing part was after we got into the city. I was later informed by many people that they were all worried that we weren't going to make it. I feel both loved (that we were missed) and slighted (because they didn't trust us)... ;)

I should tell you that, at a request from someone who shall remain anonymous for now, I went out and bought Rachel some ... uh ... lingerie. Yeah. That's a good word for it. It was interesting walking into the women's department of Peebles and Sears, and deciding that what they had was not scandalous enough. My third and final stop was in Victoria's Secret. And let me tell you, I did not know that 90% of the stuff in that store existed. There's a reason that it's called Victoria's Secret...

And, yes, I'm still a man. Trust me, guys, it can be done. If you ever have to do this, play it up. Make the clerks laugh. Be as loud as you can. The ladies in the store all looked at me, this big loud guy, dressed mostly in black, hat on backwards, unshaven, striding around the store, probably with one thought in their minds: "Pervert!" The clerks faces read, "Am I on Candid Camera?" ANYwho, that's a story for a different time. Call me if you want that one. I'll not relate it here. It wouldn't be prudent at this jucture...

The wedding itelf was nice. I think that the priest forgot there was a choir, and recited a lot of the beginning of the Mass. The first thing sung was the Alleluia for the Gospel. Aside from that, the Mass seemed to go very smoothly.

The reception was a lot of fun. Eric let me help him DJ, which was loads of fun for me. I haven't DJ'd anything in some time. I was feeling a bit nostalgic for it...

During the meal and before the dances, I played classical music and soundtracks. I played a few dongs directed at people: the Snowman for TJ, and Aerith's Theme from Final Fantasy VII for Mike Eidem. I figured that the soundtrack themes were perfect for the meal, considering the couple. :)

The first dance was for Peter and Rachel. Joe P., Mike P., Pat S., and I sang Ben E. King's Stand By Me in four-part a cappella. That was a lot of fun for me. I hope that I didn't break eardrums or spirits when I started my little croaking number. Unfortunately, in practicing for this, the four of us missed the garter toss. Oh, well. Eric got it, but he had to fight Ryan for it, just like the girls do for the bouquet.

Mr. and Mrs. F. (Peter's parents) made my day. They were dancing so much and they looked like they were just having so much fun there. They danced the Virgina Reel quite well, but my favorite memory of them dancing was when we played Diamond Rio's version of Kiss the Girl.

Aside from that, there was a lot of swing, slow and fast. We tried throwing in a waltz, but no one danced it at all.

We went to the Sunday Vigil Mass. Attending that reminded me why I don't attend Sunday Vigil Masses. They are filled with people who don't care enough to get up early on Sunday to give God the first part of His day.

Eric, Ryan, and I slept in until about 10AM the next morning, and then we made the eight-and-a-half hour drive back. On the way back, Ryan called his Dad, and then I called my Father to wish him a Happy Father's Day. He didn't sound too great, so I wanted to keep the conversation short, so that I didn't wear him out.

When I got back to Front Royal, I loaded up my car, and TJ and I headed out. Before we left, we paid a visit to Amy G., and Sam P. Sam is a high school summer camp counselor at Christendom this year. I'm really glad for that. They couldn't have picked a better man for the job, especially since I'm not available for that... ;)

TJ and I had a bite to eat in Manassas, and after that, I dropped him off at the Vienna Metro station, and headed back to the apartment.

No comments: