Friday, June 23, 2006

Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Today, my Mom and I fired up Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace. She loved it because of Jar Jar Binks, and I have to admit, as annoying as he is, he was a big part of it. Personally speaking, I like Jar Jar, because he makes me feel smart -- something which is rather hard to do... ;)

Mom and I are both in agreement that the movie pales in comparison the original Star Wars, and even the entire original Trilogy. But such is life. Good ol' George had to start it somehow. I'll give him credit: it's a fun movie. His imagination is still going. However, the dialogue in it is just nowhere of the same caliber that it was in the originals. Seriously. I'm not saying that the originals had the world's smartest dialogue...

Princess Leia comes to mind: "Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." Seriously. How much cooler would the movie have been if she had said something more ghetto like, "Hey, Oldie Man Kenobi! I need some backup up in here!" It wouldn't be? Ok, ok, fine! So I'm a market research analyst, not a screenplay writer. Sue me! On secodn thought, no, don't sue me. I can't afford that...

But the originals did have a certain ... something to them that the new trilogy just didn't. Maybe it was the fact that no movie like them had ever been made, which helped make the oiginal dialogue seem better: "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

In any case, it was fun. :)

1 comment:

Reepicheep said...

Yoda is easily my favorite. He's so cool and green and little.