Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Music Man

I watched The Music Man with my parents last night. It's been a while since I've seen that movie. I should add it to my collection.

Based on my extremely limited experience as an actor, I watched this movie, keeping an eye out for all the little things that make this movie great. Before the movie, the actors were talking about how the director did an entire sections in one take. If you recall the dance in Madison Park ("Shipoopy!"), this was the part. And if you recall how many shots this scene consisted of, I was shocked at how well everything was done. The precision, the timing. My gosh! If Mike P. had a troupe of actors who were able to flow as easily as thee guys, he would be in heaven. At least, I think he would be...

In any case, looking at the dancing, at the singing, at the entire performance, I realize that an actor's life is not all being pampered. At least, these actors really had to work hard to make such a masterpiece. Not all the scenes were at the level of difficulty of the "Shipoopy" scene, but still. It's really amazing.

In any event, if you haven't seen this movie, I bequeath unto thee a smack, and thy penance is to watch this movie. Not much of a penance, because you'll really enjoy it. Unless you're a nutcase...

1 comment:

Follow my Whimsy said...

Yeah, that's one of my family's favorite movies. They couldn't have found a better actor to play the Professor and Shirley Jones is wonderful.