Saturday, April 08, 2006

Super Stations & Adoration

Last night was "Super" Stations of the Cross at Christendom. As such, I began work early in the interest of getting to Front Royal on time to attend, and hopefully, to make it in time to join the choir...

I made it with about five minutes to spare before choir practice began.

I love Super Stations. We sing some of my all time favorite polyphonic hymns. Among them is "Vere Languores" by Tomás Luis de Victoria. He is an amazing polyphic music writer. He, Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, and William Byrd are the three of the composers whose pieces we do the most. I'd love to get some Claudio Monteverdi in there. His pieces are also some of the most beautiful that I've ever heard...

Last night was also all-night Adoration, because it was first Friday. I wanted to come to Christendom for this reason in particular, because I don't get too many chances to go to adoration away from Christendom. I wanted to spend all night in the chapel, but I've tried it in the past, and the same thing always happens: my eyes start getting heavy, my mind starts wandering, and things always just seem to end up out of focus. In anticipation of this, I asked Jonathan D. if I could borrow his Bible. He handed me his Douay-Rheims, and I went to the chapel.

I began reading Isaiah. It's an incredibly powerful book. The first few chapters are incredibly moving. You know that the words from God are directed right at you, and you feel about 2" tall, if even that. Isaiah 1:16-7 is one such place where you feel like you've been reprimanded by God Himself. Of course, you have been. Perfectly put in context, you really take them to heart, especially if you have read the first few chapters before.

Anyway, I read chapters 1-6 to myself in the very back of the chapel, after which I said a rosary. At the end of the rosary, I was drifting. I came back to Isaiah, with every intention of at least getting through chapter 10 before saying another rosary. I didn't make it through chapter 7. I compromised with myself, and my erect position in the pew, glasses off, reading the Bible (about three inches from my face because my vision really is that bad), arms suspended, slowly gave way to the elbows resting on my knees, allowing for a slight slouch, which slowly gave way to resting my forearms on my thighs, allowing for an even greater bend, and so forth, until I put the Bible down. My excuse? I was going to "meditate" on the words of Scripture. I got about this far: "Repent, oh ye *yawn* ye heavens and {rubs eyes} ye heavens and {adjust seating on hardwood pew} ye heavenzzzzzzz..."

"What, could ye not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." --Matthew 26:40-1

These words echoed in my head as I knew that I could not stay awake...

I got up and left the chapel. I was only causing distraction by my sleeping in the back...

I went birthday singing with the guys in an attempt to wake up, but I was fighting sleep even standing there. As I walked back to the car, I decided that I would go get some sleep and be up early (6 A.M.) for Benediction and reposition...

I didn't get up until almost 7:30, just barely in time to catch Mass. Needless to say, I missed Benediction and reposition...

No comments: