Thursday, October 12, 2006

Departed

Starring Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Alec Baldwin, and a few other people I've been before but could not tell you their names.

The movie was not freaky. The movie was not weird. The movie was freakishly weird. Jack Nicholson is a mob boss who does his thing. Matt Damon is his cop friend, kinda like his son. Matt is in the police force, and you could say that they scratch each other's backs. He's the rat in the police force for Nicholson. Leonardo DiCaprio tried to get into the police force and failed out. He is now working undercover as a rat to expose Nicholson. The rats are detected, and this movie is about them and their tricks to stay alive and in power in their respective roles.

My comment on this movie is simply this: "Wow." Not, "Wow!" Just: "Wow." It's two-and-a-half hours long, and it's good for cool scenes. It's good for suspense.

It has one sex scene. The scene makes NO sense. I saw it coming a mile away, and I thought to myself, "How are they going to go from this to sex?" And they didn't. They were in the middle of a more-or-less normal conversation (normal for the movie), and next thing you know, they are kissing and things progress from there. I looked at Paul, who was next to me in the movie theater, and I think we both were wondering if we had just witnessed the stupidest thing ever.

I'm not exactly a fan of sex scenes, for obvious reasons. In some cases, the scene jives with the movie. In this case, I think the director just wanted it in there for the heck of it, didn't know how to bring it in, and just said, "Heck with it. Just do it."

Along the same lines, I think that's how he ended the movie. It's the second worst ending I can recall having ever seen, the worst being that in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It seemed like the last 15 minutes was him scrambling for ideas, because he made the characters too good to be caught in webs, and he just said, "Heck with it. Just end it." So, a few explosions later, the movie ends.

I wasn't impressed, although the movie is worth seeing just for the quote-able scenes. Don't expect a blockbuster.

No comments: