Monday, October 16, 2006

A different weekend

On Saturday, I went to the gym early in the morning, and then to Alex's parents' house, where I borrowed their garage and tools to replace the axles and shocks in the old Sentra. Six hours later, the axles and shocks were replaced, with a lot of help from Bryan and Nathan. I didn't think it would be as easy as it was. Really. Finding the right tools took the longest time -- actually replacing the shocks and axles wasn't all that difficult. I think the actual labor took about four hours.

That night, Alex, Richard and I went to Paul's place for a coffee house. I'd never been there, so it was a new experience for me. Alex and I sang If I Had $1,000,000, as the original band B.N.L. sang it. Well, we tried to, anyway. I had my cell phone out with the order of important words on it, just so that I wouldn't get lost. Aside from that, it was loads of fun. Curt Z. was there -- it was good to see him again.

Sunday was the beginning of fall break. It just so happened that I went to Old St. Mary's for the Tridentine Latin Mass early in the morning. I was going to drive back to the Scrivener's and drive Alex back to the apartment, but as I was leaving St. Mary's, he called me and told me not to worry about it, and that he could get a ride.

As luck would have it, John E. was in town, so I headed down to Front Royal. He had a wonderful plan to change Lizzie, Emma, and Laurel's room into a convent-style room: that is, take everything out. The one catch was that everyone had to be gone. Lizzie and Laurel were the last two girls in the dorm: according to rumors, they were going to go to to the Tridentine Mass at St. John's in town at 12:30 PM. This would be perfect for John's plan. As I was driving down to Front Royal, I got a call from John, saying that Lizzie had gone to the earlier Mass and was already on her way back. That pretty much ruined our plans.

Then we got word that she was going to breakfast with her brother and JD. Hmmm... I booked it to Front Royal, and we emptied the girls' room in no time flat. Sadly, Lizzie got back to the dorm just before we put the finishing touch on the room: a kneeler (whatever the word is, pronounced "praydoo", or "Pray, do" as I thought the term was supposed to convey -- this is also an open invitation for anyone who knows how to spell that word to leave it as a comment).

Using Laurel's camera, we took many pictures of our handiwork. Lizzie suggested that we put everything back together, because Laurel would probably not be too thrilled with the condition of the room. We both really wanted to show off our handiwork to the occupants, but we knew that it would be better to not make anyone mad. In less than record time, we had everything moved back in, but sadly, I had forgotten how the desks were laid out, so they were a shambles in comparison to what they had been.

That evening, a group of us went out for a picnic. Michael B. and I got into a bit of a boxing match, just for the fun of it. I miss living in the dorms...

Dr. P., Michael, and I went back to my apartment. We watched the Hudsucker Proxy, and then went to sleep. Tomorrow begins the trip to NYC...

No comments: